Admission of Transfer Students

Specific admission requirements for transfer students are based upon the total number of transferable college credits completed from a regionally accredited institution at the time of application.

Transfer students who have completed 24+ transferable semester credits must meet the following criteria to be admitted to UND:

- Have a minimum of a 2.0  cumulative transferable college GPA

- Be in good standing at all college(s) previously attended

If transfer students have less than 24 transferable semester credits (including in-progress work), they must verify high school graduation by submitting all official high school transcripts directly to the University Admissions Office.

If transfer students have completed fewer than 24 transferable semester credits and are under the age of 25, they must submit official ACT or SAT test scores.

Applicants who have enrolled in a college or university other than the University of North Dakota and who are applying for admission must submit all required official documents to the University Admissions Office before any information regarding their status will be provided. In addition, students who have attended an institution of higher education outside of the United States, including those who participated in Study Abroad programs, must submit a course-by-course evaluation through World Education Services at: Most Canadian universities do not require a course-by-course evaluation. A student will be notified if a course-by-course evaluation is needed. All claims for transfer credit must be made within the semester in which the student matriculates. 

The safety and security responses will be reviewed by the Behavior Intervention Team. If additional information is received after an applicant is admitted, the University Admissions Office reserves the right to review and potentially revoke an admissions decisions.  

The Office of the Registrar evaluates and records transfer credit. Students with unsatisfactory records, as well as students who have been asked to withdraw from other institutions due to unsatisfactory scholarship or behavior, ordinarily will not be allowed to enter the University. If special permission for admission is granted, the student is placed on academic probation. 

Students who owe money to previous institutions and who cannot submit an official transcript are not eligible for degree seeking admission.

International Student Transfer Admission

International students applying for transfer admission must submit an application for admission, a certification of finances form, and official transcripts/academic records from all post-secondary schools attended. In addition, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a score of 195 Computer-Based, 71 Internet-Based, and/or 6.0 on the International Language Testing System (IELTS) for undergraduate students enrolling at a UND as outlined in SBHE policy, is required for all students whose native language is not English.

If transferring from a college or university outside of the United States, a course-by-course evaluation of non-U.S. post-secondary credentials is required.  The evaluation form may be obtained at: The WES ICAP evaluation must be submitted in addition to all official transcripts/academic records from all post-secondary schools attended, along with word-for-word English translations.

If transferring from a college or university within the United States, a foreign student advisor reference form is required.

Note: The student will be notified if a course-by-course evaluation is needed from a Canadian university.


Students in good academic standing may apply for admission after completing 24 credits from a regionally accredited institution that they are currently attending. Students who have less than two full-time semesters or less than 24 credits and who are not in good academic standing at their current institution can petition the eligibility for admission after four years of not attending an institution. The transfer student is not at liberty to disregard any part of his or her previous college record. Former students of other institutions may not enter as new freshmen on the basis of secondary school records. Violation of this regulation will be regarded as a serious offense and may result in the student’s dismissal from the University.

Students transferring from outside the state of North Dakota to the University must have maintained at least a “C” average at the colleges or universities which they previously attended. Some colleges in the University require higher averages in selected major programs. These requirements are described in the specific college listing in this catalog.

Transfer Credit

An official transcript from each of the student’s former institutions must be submitted for review. Upon receipt of the student’s transcripts, the Office of the Registrar will determine which credits will transfer as well as how those credits will be applied toward the University of North Dakota’s General Education requirements and/or Essential Studies requirements. How the accepted courses may be used toward the student’s major is determined by the individual college or department from which the student plans to receive his/her degree. Students should read specific information about their school or college requirements in this catalog and should contact an advisor in their major to determine course applicability.

A credit summary, indicating only the number of credits transferred and the institution of origin, will be posted to the student’s University of North Dakota transcript after the student has been admitted to the University. A detailed listing of transferred courses will be available to both student and advisor. All of the student’s previous undergraduate work becomes part of the student’s permanent UND record. All transfer work shown on the student’s official transcript will be summarized in semester credits. Work transferred from institutions that use quarter or other systems will be converted to semester credits.

The University of North Dakota participates in the General Education Requirements Transfer Agreement (GERTA) with other North Dakota institutions. Students who have completed their general education requirements at another North Dakota institution recognized by GERTA should request proof of this completion be sent to the UND Office of the Registrar. Students who have completed an Associates of Arts degree or who have completed their general education requirements at another North Dakota University System (NDUS) institution will be deemed to have completed the general education requirements at UND.

In general, all college-level credit attempted at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)  including the American Council on Education (ACE) will be posted in transfer by UND. There are certain exceptions to this rule, and those exceptions include, but may not be limited to, the following:

  1. Remedial or preparatory courses
  2. Credit granted for life experience by other institutions
  3. Institution-based credit by examination
  4. Non-degree continuing education courses

Credit for military courses and training may be granted, but students requesting this credit must produce an official training record. Students should consult the military branch under which they served to have an official copy of this record sent to UND. The American Council on Education’s (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces will be used to determine whether or not credit is granted and only credit listed as either lower division baccalaureate or upper division baccalaureate credit will be considered.

Students transferring college credit from all institutions outside of the United States, with the exception of Canadian institutions, must have their transcripts evaluated by an international transcript evaluation company prior to being admitted to UND. Students who need more information about how this evaluation is performed may go online at: Canadian students’ work will be evaluated on-site in the Office of the Registrar.

Credits not successfully completed (grades of F) that would transfer if successfully completed will also transfer to the University and will affect the students’ cumulative grade point average. 

To qualify for a degree a student must achieve a minimum 2.00 (C) average on all University work. For transfer students, it is required that the overall average (including transfer work) be 2.00 (C) and that the average of work taken at the University of North Dakota be 2.00 (C). Some colleges require a higher grade point average for graduation and this requirement is indicated in the specific college description in this catalog.

How To Apply: The online application for admission can be located on the web at:

  1. All applicants are required to complete the online application and submit the non-refundable $35 application fee.
  2. Although an applicant’s records from several institutions may be summarized on one transcript, an application will not be considered until official transcripts from each college attended are received direct from the awarding institution to the Office of Admissions. These are required even though no credit may have been earned at an institution.
  3. Students who have earned fewer than 24 transferable semester credits must submit a high school transcript and their official ACT UND school code (#3218) or SAT UND school code (#6878) to UND. If students are 25 years of age or older on the first day of class, they are not required to submit their ACT or SAT scores. However, if they've taken either exam, it's highly recommended that they submit their official scores for proper placement into English and math courses.  All official documents should be mailed directly from the high school and college and testing center to the Office of Admissions at 3501 University Avenue, Stop 8357, Grand Forks, ND 58202.
  4. All applicants are required to complete the safety and security questions on the online application.
  5. Each applicant must provide the Health History & Immunization Form completed by his or her family physician or mailed from his/her high school. This form is provided online to each accepted student and should be returned to the Student Health Services before enrollment. 

When to Apply: A transfer applicant may submit an application as soon as he or she has registered for the last term she he is attending at the current institution. Transfer students who are accepted to the University will receive follow up information about registration.