Master of Science in Instructional Design and Technology
The applicant must meet the School of Graduate Studies’ current minimum general admission requirements as published in the graduate catalog.
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or a junior/senior year grade point average of 3.00 for the Master of Education and Master of Science degrees, and for the certificate programs.
- A 3.5 or better grade point average for all graduate work.
- Satisfy the School of Graduate Studies’ English Language Proficiency requirements as published in the graduate catalog.
- Two essay questions as part of the application process.
Provisional admission may be considered for students whose academic performance does not meet these criteria. Whether such consideration is given will depend on the circumstances and the judgment of the admissions faculty.
Students seeking the MS degree at the University of North Dakota must satisfy all general requirements set forth by the School of Graduate Studies as well as particular requirements set forth by the IDT program.
- At least one-half of the credits must be at or above the 500 level.
- A maximum of one-fourth of the credit hours required for the degree may be transferred from another institution.
|Core coursework in IDT||9|
|Additional coursework in IDT area of emphasis||9|
|Foundations coursework in education or psychology||3|
|Scholarly project or thesis||2-4|
|Total (34-non-thesis or 36- thesis)|
The IDT degree options are based on the same set of program components:
- Program core component: New courses presenting IDT content.
- Research component: Development of research skills.
- Foundations component: Fundamental background in psychology.
- Area of Emphasis in IDT: Opportunity for area or skill specialization within IDT.
The IDT course requirements are organized within a major, foundations area, research/scholarly tools area, and area of emphasis. The major consists of the IDT core and the area of emphasis in IDT. Students in the MS degree program will be required to complete 18 credit hours of coursework in IDT subject matter. This requirement includes:
|IDT 500||Survey of Instructional Design||3|
|IDT 520||Instructional Systems Analysis and Design||3|
|IDT 525||Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of Instructional Materials||3|
|Area of Emphasis|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Theories and Models of Instructional Design|
|Special Topics in Instructional Design and Technology|
|Readings in Instructional Design and Technology|
|Research in Instructional Design and Technology (MS must take scholarly tool, does not count toward cognate)|
|Directed Studies in Instructional Design and Technology|
|Technology-Based Instruction: Applications and Methods|
|Digital Media and the Internet in Schools|
|Instructional Design Consulting|
|Human Performance Technology|
Computer- and Web-Based Instruction
|Introduction to Computer-Based Instruction|
|Advanced Computer-Based Instructional Development|
|Instructional Simulations and Games|
|Introduction to Web-Based Instruction|
|Any EFR Foundations course||3|
|EFR 509||Introduction to Applied Educational Research||3|
|IDT 592||Research in Instructional Design and Technology||1-3|
|IDT 584||Internship in Instructional Design and Technology||2-4|
|Select one of the following:||2-4|