Master of Education in ELL Education
The applicant must meet the School of Graduate Studies’ current minimum general admission requirements as published in the graduate catalog.
- An undergraduate degree in education, or a related field.
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.75 for all undergraduate work or a GPA of at least 3.0 for the junior and senior years of undergraduate work (based on A = 4.00).
- Satisfy the School of Graduate Studies’ English Language Proficiency requirements as published in the graduate catalog.
- Students currently enrolled in UND’s Graduate Certificate in ELL Program who want to transfer to the M.Ed. in ELL Education program must apply for admission to the M.Ed. program. Students who have completed the Graduate Certificate have two years from the date of certificate completion to be apply and be accepted into the M.Ed. program and have their certificate courses credited towards the M.Ed. degree.
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
This degree is the highest academic credential normally held by teachers in the TESOL field. While the program focuses on K-12 education in the United States, the program is also responsive to those planning to teach adult ESL or teach English overseas. The program may be completed in six semesters. A 90-hour field experience is required in addition to a final scholarly project or independent study.
- Thirty-five (35) credits including a minimum of twelve in the major, six in a cognate area, and six in foundations.
- A minimum of two credits of Independent Study or Scholarly Project.
- At least one-half of the credits must be at or above the 500- level.
- A maximum of one-fourth of the credit hours required for the degree may be transferred from another institution.
- Preparation of a written independent study or scholarly project approved by the faculty advisor.
- Required Courses:
Major T&L 523 Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners 3 T&L 514 Introduction to Multilingual Education 3 T&L 537 ELL Methods and Materials 3 T&L 550 Assessment and Evaluation in ELL Education 3 T&L 568 Research and Advocacy in TESOL 3 T&L 580 Practicum in Schools 3 T&L 995 Scholarly Project 2 or T&L 997 Independent Study Cognate T&L 513 Linguistics for ELL Teachers 3 T&L 567 Language Structure and Analysis for ELL Teachers 3 T&L 551 Second Language Acquisition for ELL Teachers 3 Foundations EFR 500 Introduction to the Foundations of Education 3 EFR 506 Multicultural Education 3 Total Credits 35