Minnesota Tuition Reciprocity

Residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend a North Dakota state institution of higher learning and pay a special tuition rate that is lower than the normal non-resident rate. (Minnesota reciprocity tuition rates are not available to Medical and Law students.)

To be certified for reciprocity at UND, Minnesota students must do two things: 

  1. File UND’s standard admission application; and
  2. File a reciprocity participation application with Minnesota at their website: www.ohe.state.mn.us.        

Instructions to apply for MN Reciprocity:

  1. Go to the Reciprocity website at www.ohe.state.mn.us
  2. Click on Online Applications under Paying for College
  3. Click on Tuition Reciprocity 
  4. This will bring you to an informational page. About halfway down the page, you will see the semester dates that are available to apply for Reciprocity. It is critical that you choose the correct semester; please review your options carefully. 
  5. After choosing your option, scroll down to the bottom of the page, click “Yes/No,” and you will be directed to the site for the simple reciprocity test.
  6. Take the test and print off a copy of the “Congratulations” letter for your records.
  7. Notify One Stop Student Services of your approval by completing the MN Reciprocity Request form at https://apps.und.edu/forms/index.cfm? or call One Stop Student Services at 701-777-1234 to let us know that you have applied and been approved.
  8. Students who previously participated in the reciprocity program and have had a break in their enrollment of one semester or more, must re-apply for reciprocity.

Applications must be submitted within the established due date provided on the One Stop Student Services website located at: http://und.edu/finance-operations/student-account-services/residency.cfm.

Please Note:

  1. A student who has graduated from a Minnesota High School within the 12 month period prior to first term of enrollment will not be required to complete a reciprocity participation application.
  2. A student who was enrolled, received reciprocity, and earned credits during any term of the academic year will automatically have benefits renewed for the following academic year at the same institution.
  3. Any student who is enrolling and has taken a break in semesters or is a transfer student, must complete a new reciprocity participation application.
  4. Students who previously participated in the reciprocity program and have had a break in enrollment at UND of one semester or more, must re-apply for reciprocity. 

Until Reciprocity is granted, students are required to pay non-resident tuition. The Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate is granted only for the current term and concurrent future terms as approved on www.ohe.state.mn.us. If you apply for Minnesota Reciprocity during any term, and your approval also states that you are approved for the previous term(s), UND will not go back and change those previous term tuition rates. Adjustments in tuition rates will only be made for the current term; previous terms are adjusted based on a case to case basis where special circumstances exist that warrant an exception to policy. All previous term tuition rate changes must be approved by UND Administration. To be considered for a past semester tuition rate adjustment, a Campus Connection Charge Appeal form must be completed. The form can be accessed using your Campus Connection ID and Password here: apps.UND.edu/studentforms/index.cfm. Student Account Services recommends that each student verifies his/her tuition rate at the beginning of each term so that any corrections can be made promptly.

*Any exceptions will be approached on a case by case basis.

Office of the Registrar

Tel: 701.777.2711
Fax: 701.777.2696

Twamley Hall Room 201
264 Centennial Drive Stop 8382
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8382