The Senior Honors Thesis

Through the Senior Honors Thesis (including Departmental theses), students of marked ability may pursue, in their senior year, a voluntary program of supervised independent study, leading to the bachelor’s degree with honors in the major field of study. The purpose of this program is twofold: first, to give public recognition to the superior student; and second, to enable the student to broaden, deepen, and enrich the educational experience.

In order to be eligible, a student must have completed 75 credit hours by the end of the first semester of the junior year with a general grade point average of at least 3.2. Students must apply for admission to pursue honors work by April 1 of their junior year. If he or she is certified by the chairperson of his or her major department, Academic Dean, and the Honors Committee, the student and his or her supervisor will then plan a course of independent study for the following year.

The credits in independent study shall total nine credits. At the discretion of the department and of the Honors Committee, these credits may be either in addition to major requirements or in place of some requirements. Such a study may consist of Honors Program courses, laboratory research, seminars, creative work, or any combination of these which the department and the Committee may approve. This study, whatever its nature may be, will appear on the student’s record with the number 489 and the title “Senior Honors Thesis.” The study may be either departmental or interdepartmental. To qualify for Senior Honors, the student must receive a grade no lower than a “B” for this work. Theses will be bound and deposited in the University Library. The student will be expected to meet the nominal charge involved.

The student must maintain a GPA of at least 3.2, make satisfactory progress in his or her course of independent study, and submit a progress report to the supervisor at the end of the first semester of the senior year. At that time, the student, the department, or the Committee may decide to terminate the student’s honors work. At or near the end of the senior year, if the work is continued, the student will participate in the Honors Undergraduate Research Conference or take a comprehensive oral examination at which a member of the Honors Committee shall be present.

An unsuccessful candidate for Senior Honors will receive the bachelor’s degree with the usual General Honors if his or her record meets the grade-point requirements. A successful candidate for Senior (Departmental) Honors will receive the same distinction; the additional notation “Departmental Honors” will appear on the Commencement program and transcript.

Office of the Registrar

Tel: 701.777.2711
Fax: 701.777.2696

Twamley Hall Room 201
264 Centennial Drive Stop 8382
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8382